Here's everything you need to know
To Love Him More
So More Love Him
To become a community of life transformation taking the hope of the gospel here, near and far
Pursue ... Him Daily
Psalm 27:8 My Heart says of you "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek.
Connect ... In Community
Hebrews 10:25 Do not give up meeting together.
Serve ... One Another
1 Peter 4:10 God has given each of you a gift from His great variety of spiritual gifts. Use them well to serve one another
Reach ... your World
2 Corinthians 5:20 We are Christ's ambassadors; God is making his appeal through us. We speak for Christ when we plead, "Come back to God!"
Our Story - Over 50 Years of God at Work!
Since 1957, God has been at work in the lives of ordinary men and women to do some extraordinary things in Jesus' name.
"Done by ordinary people of faith, trust, and vision. No one person, no millionaires, just many faithful committed trusting believers." -Spence Sawyer, early member in 1966
In 1957, two gentlemen felt a burden to start a church in Naperville. Mel Larson and Bill Frickman felt called to reach this community for Jesus - to see Christ's transforming power. So, on August 11, 1957, with just seventeen people (who were from Wheaton Evangelical Free Church) present, the Evangelical Free Church of Naperville in the auditorium of the Bank of Naperville, gathered to discuss the possibilities. That small group held frequent prayer meetings in the weeks to come and a church family started to take shape.
"We were invited to the newly forming EFCN in 1957 by a knock on the door of our home. We had visited many churches, but found that this one honored God's Word. We have stayed here for 52 years because it still honors His Word, preaching the gospel to those here, near and far. Three of our sons are serving as missionaries in Africa because of this church!" - Fred and Shirley Carpenter, charter members
In 1961 they outgrew the Bank auditorium and moved to Beebe School for services. By 1965, they again needed more space and rented the Women's Building downtown across from the Post office. Pastor Paul Cedar came on board with his wife Jeannie. By the day of their new pastor's installation, the church broke ground for the first building at 1433 N. Main Street.
"A great many friends helped with the early church: one donated a piano, another the piano tuning, another paid the advertising expenses and another gave a hand-made pulpit." - Ruth Sawyer, member since 1966
In 1968 John Van Dixhorn became pastor. With a heart towards deepening the church family's spiritual growth, an addition on the east side was added, creating new education rooms. The church grew in worship and outreach – sending out their first missionary.
Pastor Ron Payne came in 1973 with his wife Pam and encouraged families in Christian community through church get-togethers. As the church grew, a new enlarged sanctuary was added to the west in 1975.
In 1980 Pastor Bob Meyer came with his wide, Lynda, and family. At that point, the church family grew too big for its space. In 1982, the morning services moved to Naperville North High School. For more than three years, the church family met there for worship. With this step of faith came a renewed interest in the Word of God.
In 1983, Pastor Rick Pierson joined the staff. Land was purchased at Hobson and College Roads and plans were drawn up for a new facility. The vision for the new campus was outward – to win more people for Jesus. Money was tight and the move took a lot of prayer and faith; but in 1984, ground was broken.
Finally, in October 1985 a caravan of cars traveled from the high school to the new sanctuary. That Sunday service was “standing room only.” By the following weekend, the church held two services.
"God brought us to this place... so that all the people of the earth might know that the hand of the Lord is powerful and so that you might always fear the Lord your God." (Joshua 4:24)
In 1988 Pastor Lee Iseley came with his wife, Jerrianne, and family. The children's work was expanding – so much so that he inherited 3 Sunday school sessions and 3 worship services. An educational addition was needed, again! Phase two of the new site was dedicated in 1988 with the building of the North Addition.
In 1996, the South addition was added to the building to make more space for our growing church family. But, as always, the church family knew it was more than a building.
"Nothing will continue to happen on the corner of Hobson and College unless there is a burning desire for people to pray for a revival in our church now. We can never reach a plateau and think the job is complete! It will take a desire on the people's part to see church growth. If old methods don't work, find new ones. Allow the Lord to bring revival to this congregation." - Charles Shearer, former Trustee
In 2001, Pastor Dale Hummel together with his wife Marcia and family were welcomed after 3 years without a lead pastor. Pastor Dale helped the church family refocus on seeing lives transformed for Jesus. With this renewed sense of purpose, the church began to grow again. We expanded into the current worship center of the Hobson campus in October of 2005.
In 2009, we changed our name to The Compass Church, to better reflect the diverse residential backgrounds of our congregation, as well as to reflect the multi-site vision from our elders while maintaining the Free Church denomination.
On October 17, 2010, we held our first official multi-site services at Crone Middle School on 111th Street – with 111 families in attendance. That campus has since moved to 2244 W. 95th Street Naperville, IL 60564 and has changed names from the 111th campus to the 95th campus.
In May of 2014, after a year long search, Jeff Griffin became our new senior pastor. Jeff, his wife Jen and their three children move to Naperville to lead The Compass into the next phase of our journey.
July 2014 began a 10 month process of seeking God’s will in a potential reunification with Wheaton Evangelical Free Church – yes, back where it all began! In April of 2015 there was an overwhelmingly positive vote from both congregations to become one church again and the Wheaton Campus of The Compass Church was official.
In May 2015 God presented another reunification opportunity with New Song Church that was a church plant out of Compass 25 years ago! The congregation voted as part of our annual meeting in September for the reunification to happen and that resulted in our fourth campus.
Today, about 3,700 adults and children join us each weekend during one of ten worship services:
- Saturdays at 5p, Sundays at 9:15a & 11:15a at the Hobson campus
- Sunday at 9:30a & 11:30a at the 95th campus
- Saturdays at 6p, Sundays 8:30a & 10:15a at the Wheaton campus
- Sundays has two services at 10:30a at the Bolingbrook campus, one in English & one in Spanish
Our church isn't a building. It's not a place. It's a body of believers.
Our mission that drives us is “To Love Him More, So More Love Him” – a beautiful combination of the Great Commandment and the Great Commission.
Our vision that directs us is “To become a community of life transformation taking the hope of the gospel here, near and far”.
Over the history of our church, we have moved, expanded and changed our ways often. We have sought to remain flexible so we may be responsive to God's calling on this church. God has been at work in the lives of ordinary men and women to do some extraordinary things in Jesus' name.
Our prayer is simply, no matter what comes next, we will be found ready.
Original multi-site launch met at bank as Naperville Evangelical Free Church
Moved to new building on Main Street
Bought existing 18 acres at Hobson, worship services held at Naperville North High School during construction
Moved to Hobson location
Addition of Worship Center and Atrium
Changed our name to The Compass Church
Added our first multi-site campus – the 95th Campus
Jeff Griffin became our new Senior Pastor
Voted to reunify with Wheaton Evangelical Free Church, which became our third campus - the Wheaton Campus
Voted to reunify with New Song Church, which became our fourth campus – the Bolingbrook Campus